Saturday 5 April 2014

Customer service (apparently)

So today I was having a conversation about customer service. This sounds like a boring conversation but if you read on you'll probably be able to relate to what I am yet to say...

There are many things that I cannot stand when I am in a shop, fuel station, restaurant etc... The main thing is queues (obviously) but the next is terrible customer service. Here is a list of the kinds of things that just should not happen.


  • When you have just been handed your change, are putting it away and the person has already called the next customer to the till. Why do people do this?! I am still in front of you. I haven't left. WAIT.
  • When you have just been handed your change, are putting it away and the person who was serving you says 'bye' before you have even left. This makes things very awkward as I am quite clearly still standing in front of you. WAIT.
  • When you are being served by someone who is deep in conversation with their colleague and does not say a word to you throughout the entire transaction. Having worked in retail before I know how frustrating it is when you are having a really awesome conversation and a stupid customer comes over. The way you handle this situation is simple. WAIT.
  • Ugh, this one annoys me... when you are waiting at the till to be served and the staff member is busy on the computer or labelling items and doesn't even acknowledge you to say 'someone will be with you in a moment'. Again, having worked in retail, I know how infuriating it is when you are on a roll with your labelling and an annoying customer approaches the till. The way you handle this situation is simple. WAIT.
  • When you approach a member of staff with a question and their response is 'I don't work in this department, sorry'. Not good enough! Find someone who does or at least try and be useful to me by seeing if you can figure out my (not exactly impossible) question.
  • When you walk into a shop and nobody is around. EMPLOY MORE STAFF.
  • The 'hoverer's'. Now there is good customer service and then there is annoying. Stop fluttering around and let me get on with it. I've told you I don't need help, I'll tell you if I change my mind.
If you are reading this and do any of these things then please stop, If you are in capable of doing so, change your choice of career. You are an annoyance to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment