Saturday 12 September 2015

11 ways to get more organised if you're a busy person.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it's been a couple of weeks since my last post. I've been really busy trying to get my freelance work up and running properly. Exciting times! I really love designing and I've done quite a few freelance jobs in the past, but I've never really promoted myself because it's always just been more of a hobby. So now I've decided to try to push it a bit and who knows, I may get a bit of extra pocket money a month by doing something I love doing.

There's so much I want to do at the moment, I just don't know where to begin! I'm really enjoying blogging, freelance, exercising and now my job has got really busy as well. Alongside that, I have a busy social life, I am trying to cram in family visits and (of course) time to see the boyf. It's just hectic!














Attempting to find time to squeeze everything in is really difficult. So I've had to get more organised. Here's what I've been doing to keep myself on track. You may be able to pick up a few handy little tricks for keeping in-line outside and inside work.

1. Pocket diary.
I bought a cute little half-year pocket diary from Paperchase. They're great! Before I always bought an enormous one so that I could fit both work and home plans in. In the end I realised it's much easier to have a nifty little book you can carry around comfortably, rather than lugging a chunky A5 one with you.

2. Separate note books at work.
So here's a handy little tip I picked up from someone when I started my new job. I now have separate books laid out on my desk.

- Daily to-do list
I have one book which I write my daily to do lists in. On the right hand page I have a new page every day with the things I need to do that day. Then on the left hand page I use for scribbling down notes if I am on a phone call or I'm figuring out a sum.

- A meeting jotter.
I carry a separate 'smarter' looking jotter with me to meetings. It means I can flick back to a particular meeting when I need to and can clearly see any action points when I get back to my desk. It stops me from getting in a muddle and I can transfer any action points back to my to-do notepad afterwards.

- A 'how to' book.
I've basically created a handbook which includes instructions to do anything complicated or confusing or any important details to remember. I can then refer back to it if I need to remember anything and it's always being updated as I go along.

3. Keep
A friend of mine showed me a handy little app the other day called 'Keep'. It's a Google app and you can keep to do lists and set reminders. I also find it useful for taking notes on blog ideas or even shopping lists. I'd definitely recommend it.

4. Safety time.
I've started adding 'safety time' between any plans. For example, if I am going to the gym at 11am-midday and meeting a friend after for lunch, I will agree to meet them an hour after I'm done, so that if I get caught up, it doesn't matter. Then if I arrive early I can use that time to reply to emails, check-in with a relative on the phone or simply just chill with a coffee... we all need chill time.

5. Getting chores done before you sit down.
I've started getting all my chores done and getting straight into my pjs as soon as I get home after work. This way I don't procrastinate and go to bed too late and I can relax for the evening.

6. Two birds, one stone.
I try to forecast the week ahead where I can. It's always a good idea to connect plans. For example, if I need to go to the post office and am also meeting a friend, I will organise to meet them for lunch somewhere close to a post office. Simple, yet effective.

7. Tidy.
I tend to tidy as I go, rather than leaving rubbish jotted around the flat, or not filing the paperwork on my desk. I'm only going to have to spend time clearing it all up from a bigger mess at a later point. So I may as well just do it straight away. A tidy room/desk most definitely equals a tidy mind.

8. Calender reminders.
I always set a calendar reminder for anything important that needs doing. Even if you've written in your diary that you have a dentist appointment, it's always good to have another nudge from a reliable electronic device. 

9. Daily rituals/routine.
Every week is pretty different for me, but I try to have a routine where I can. I just find having a bit of a routine helps you to keep on track. I have a morning ritual which doesn't tend to change. I wake up, do my work out, wash, make my coffee, get dressed and then cycle to the station. If I didn't have this routine, I'm likely to get in a muddle and forget things and be like 'damn, I forgot to make my coffee' and spend the whole train journey wishing I had my flask. There's no need for that kind of upset in your life. 

10. Just get it done.
If it takes 5 minutes, don't delay, just do it. This is a tip a colleague once told me at my last job. There is no point making your to-do list extra lengthy if you can just quickly tick something off the list. I apply this to almost everything. If the washing-up is sat there from last nights dinner, rather than think 'ugh I need to do that' for the entire evening whilst I sit watching TV, I'd feel more relaxed if I just got it done and was able to chill without feeling like it's there tormenting me.

11. Big tedious jobs first.
Once you've got that short 5 minute job done and you get to that tedious list of 'omg, where do I begin', I always find it best to write everything down, look over it, decide what is more pressing and get the urgent jobs done first. Always go for the job which is bigger as when it's done you'll feel so much more relaxed and the rest of your list will feel like a breeze. 

Hopefully this is useful!

Thank you for reading.

Mel x

1 comment:

  1. Safety time = genius. I think I need to schedule in some "chill time" throughout the day!

    http://collectinglabels.com

    ReplyDelete