Saturday 15 August 2015

21 THINGS I LEARNT IN MY FIRST TWO DAYS CYCLING IN LONDON

Hi all,


So as I said in my last blog post, I now own one of those cute folding bikes (named Reuben) and am cycling in London everyday. 

It's quite a long distance each day and my bum is now in agony every time I place myself on the seat. I'll get used to the uncomfortable seating soon, I may even develop some hot bum muscles but I'm pretty sure there are one or two bruises right now. Apologies if I'm over-sharing. 

This is my journey:
Home - Ashford Station: 15 minutes
London St Pancras - Islington: 25 minutes
Islington - London St Pancras: 25 minutes
Ashford Station - Home: 15 minutes

Total time = 1 hour and 20 minutes.

This may not sound like a long time to some of you, but that obviously means you've not seen the hill from Kings Cross into Angel? No, as I expected.

I've learned a few things since I've been cycling in London. I'd like to share them with you...

1. There is a reason I never passed my cycling proficiency test when I was like 9.

2. Cars don't know where they're going.

3. Busses don't know where they're going.

4. Cyclists don't know where they're going.

5. Pedestrians don't know where they're going.
 
6. I don't know where I'm going.

- nobody has a clue

7. Traffic lights are more boring if you're on a bike than if you're in a car.

8. Never sit down when cycling over a speed bump. This may explain the sore bum issue!

9. Bicycles should have wing mirrors.

10. Fit everything you need into a rucksack. I have reason to beleive that H&M carrier bags, filled with tins of tuna, hurt when they bash into your shins.

11. I've had more near misses with bus wing mirrors in the space of two days, than I have with gym sessions since owning a gym membership - this is a lot btw.

12. Steep hills are impossible to cycle up, unless if you're planning on going backwards.

13. Other cyclists are speed-competitive. 'Take over, by all means, I'm going to be here a while anyway.'

14. Helmet hair is much less attractive than bed hair.

15. Never cycle with a skirt or dress on. Just don't.

16. Always carry deodorant in your backpack.

17. The wind and rain are not your friends. The two combined are your enemy.

18. One way road 'systems' are the worst.

19. They should make helmets with room for ponytails.

20. Don't get too cocky. I do this with ice skating. When I gain confidence I start showing off and soon make an idiot of myself by falling over.

21. If the roads aren't making sense (which even as a driver, they really never do) tag along with a group of big boys who seem to know what they're doing.

I'm sure there's more that will enlighten me as I continue in the cycling world. I'll more than likely tweet about it.

Thanks for reading!

Mel x


No comments:

Post a Comment