Tuesday 11 August 2015

TIME TO GET THIN!

Good evening to you!

I've always been a curvy girl, since a young age. I have a really over-enthusiastic sweet-tooth and never used to be one for exercise either. I probably went to about 4 P.E classes in the whole time I was at school. Another issue is that I have an under-active thyroid so my weight tends to fluctuate each time my medication needs altering. It's a bit of a nuisance!

Last year I decided to join the gym. I have gone almost every week in the year and a half I've had a membership. About four months ago I decided to start working out 3 mornings a week and I've done really well at committing to it. I've had the odd break here and there but generally I've stuck to the plan. What's really frustrating however is that I've not lost any weight.

The reason why is because I'm only doing a short (but intense) workout in each session. So I'm only burning about 200 calories each time I go. To lose a pound you need to burn 3500 calories. So that's about a month worth of exercise to lose just one pound. I've definitely gained muscle in that time but I've not burnt any fat.

The other issue is that I've not done too well at the ol' dieting. So although I'm now having salads for lunch, I'm still partial to the odd Caramel Latte from Costa and I may go a bit overboard on the salad dressing. If I eat 300 less calories a day than I have been, I will lose that one pound in half the time. So I've decided to make some changes. Here's what I'm gonna do...
  1. I am going to commit to the gym on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. If I miss a day, I will go on the weekend. I am going to do a slightly longer workout and include more cardio.
  2. I am going to eat less porridge (I do overfill my bowl a bit) and have only two spoonfuls of honey (rather than squeezing it out straight from the bottle - I'm so bad).
  3. I am going to stick to a maximum of 3 coffees a day, still using sweetener but not sugar.
  4. One full 750ml bottle of water during my work day.
  5. I will continue to cycle to and from work.
  6. I will continue to have salads for lunch but will have more salad content and less ceaser dressing.
  7. Fizzy drinks are forbidden from my diet.
  8. If I go out for lunch with my colleagues, I will have soup in the evening for dinner and if I can't do that, I will make up for it the following day.
  9. I will weigh myself once a week at the gym. I have a really bad fear of the scales. It's been ages since I last weighed myself so I must face up to it and regularly check my progress.
  10. Joe and I will need to have less fattening meals and more nutritious food. I will make meal plans every week for the week ahead.
  11. I will aim to reach my goal weight before my birthday (December 3rd). I will probably pile it all on again over Christmas but hey ho.
  12. If Joe makes me a 'joast dinner' (roast by Joe) I will have scrambled eggs for breakfast and will include an additional workout into my week.
  13. I am going to keep a food diary of what I eat and when I exercise. I will also have a timetable of what I am going to eat and what time I am allowed to eat it.
  14. I am allowed fast food however I must not eat anything bad during the day so it's well-balanced. I'm also going to make sure that I only have fast food on the weekends or if I am working late/going to an event.
  15. I'm allowed a maximum of 3 coffee shop coffees a month. Any more = one extra workout.

So this is my plan. I will keep you in the loop with how I get on. Now I've spent the past half an hour writing a blog post I actually have to do this. I've said it now and there's no going back.

Wish me luck!
Mel x

1 comment:

  1. Currently in the process of trying to get a workout routine too... i'm more of an outdoors person though so the gym isn't for me!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete